Re: fonts for U7.0 scripts

From: Tom Gewecke <Tom_at_bluesky.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 06:28:44 -0700

On Oct 23, 2014, at 11:31 AM, Eric Muller wrote:

>> How about even having just the glyphs in the Unicode.org charts being in the public domain?
>
> Very easy to achieve:
>
> 1. Ask the owner of the font how much money he wants to part with his property.
> 2. Write a check for the corresponding amount.
> 3. You are now the owner, you can put the font in the public domain.

You are right, of course, but I was thinking of uses other than to make fonts.

It seems a bit odd to me sometimes that there is no guaranteed public domain example for characters. If someone wants to publish and sell a book in which they say something like "This is how Unicode suggests that character U+XXXX is supposed to look:" and then they copy the glyph from the Unicode chart, as I understand it they are violating copyright unless they get permission from the author of the font that was used for the chart. Or if they wanted to use one of the emoji characters from the charts on a public sign.

Is that correct?