RE: fonts for U7.0 scripts

From: Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 22:30:49 +0000

Have you tried checking what the Unicode Terms of Use has to say about all this?

Let me help: here's the Terms of Use page:

http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html

Regarding online code charts, it says, "The online code charts carry specific restrictions."

If you load any of the code chart PDFs, there's a copyright notice that says this:

<quote>
Terms of Use
You may freely use these code charts for personal or internal business uses only. You may not incorporate them either wholly or in part into any product or publication, or otherwise distribute them without express written permission from the Unicode Consortium. However, you may provide links to these charts.

The fonts and font data used in production of these code charts may NOT be extracted, or used in any other way in any product or publication, without permission or license granted by the typeface owner(s).

The Unicode Consortium is not liable for errors or omissions in this file or the standard itself. Information on characters added to the Unicode Standard since the publication of the most recent version of the Unicode Standard, as well as on characters currently being considered for addition to the Unicode Standard can be found on the Unicode web site.
</quote>

Anyone publishing a book and taking content from some other source is probably going to (or should) contact the owner of that content to get permission. The Unicode Consortium regularly receives requests for permission to use content.

Peter