Re: Looking for a standard on historical countries

From: Markus Scherer <markus.icu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:29:31 -0700

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 6:20 AM, "Jörg Knappen" <jknappen_at_web.de> wrote:

> Does someone here is aware of a standard or a de facto standard for names
> or codes of historical countries? For the requirement I have in mind, all
> countries where there was a printing press would be optimal coverage,
> anything going beyond 1974 (ISO 3166-3) will be better than nothing.

I agree that that would be useful, but I am not aware of any such standard
or reliable source of data.

This question might be more successful on the cldr-users mailing list where
people are more likely to think about region codes and display names. (
http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html)

markus