RE: Terms for rotations

From: Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 01:48:36 +0000

Might also be useful that the primary purpose of the character names is to provide unique, reference identifiers that should be reasonably reflective of the character identity. But they don't need to guarantee unambiguous understanding of the character identity absent of any additional information. In particular, two things that can be assumed when interpreting a character name to understand the character identity are (1) access to the representative glyph for the character from the code charts, and (2) access to the name and representative glyph from the code charts for related characters.

So, for example, the identity of 026F LATIN SMALL LETTER TURNED M and 1D1F LATIN SMALL LETTER SIDEWAYS TURNED M can only be clearly understood in reference to the representative glyphs for these characters and to 006D LATIN SMALL LETTER M.

Peter