Re: UAX 29 questions

From: Mark Davis ☕️ <mark_at_macchiato.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 09:32:56 +0100

I apology in advance that I'm running low on time, and didn't go through
all the messages on this thread carefully. So I may not be fully
appreciating people's positions. I'm just making some quick points about 2
items that caught my eye.

1. There are certainly times where two rules in sequence may overlap, just
for simplicity.

X Y* x Z
Y x Z* W

The first rule could trigger on X Y Z W, even though the second would also
trigger on it. This may or may not be "sloppiness"; sometimes it simply
makes the second rule too convoluted to also exclude triggering on
everything that could possibly trigger earlier.

That being said, if there simplifications in the rules that would make it
clearer, I'd suggest submitting a proposal for that. The UTC is meeting
next week, and could consider it either then or at subsequent meetings.

Note: the HTML files in http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/auxiliary/ have a
number of sample cases (which are also used in the test files). Hovering
over boundaries in those sample cases shows which rule is triggered, such
as in
http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/auxiliary/GraphemeBreakTest.html#samples

We're always open to additional samples that are illustrative of how the
rules work. As I thought about your message, it became clear to me that it
would be useful to have a complete enough set of sample cases that each
rule is triggered by at least one case, if you or anyone else is interested
in helping to add those.

2. Also, the following 2 rules are not equivalent:

a) Any × (Format | Extend)
b) X (Extend | Format)* → X

(b) implies (a), but not the reverse. The difference is on the right side
of characters. Rule b, affects every subsequent rule, and can be viewed as
a shorthand. After it, we can just say:

A B × C D

And that has the effect of saying:

A (Extend | Format)* B (Extend | Format)* × C (Extend | Format)* D

See also http://unicode.org/reports/tr29/#Grapheme_Cluster_and_Format_Rules

However, it may not be clear that (b) implies (a); that might be what you
are getting at. If so, then we could add an explicit statement to that
effect.

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*