Re: Bopomofo light tone mark on the Web

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 02:52:48 +0100

An alternative could be to encode TWO separate tone marks:
- one for the usual mode where it appears to the right (horizontal writing)
or top (vertical writing) and where it is then a combining character.
- one for the alternate "phonetic" mode where it will be forced to appear
always before : it will be a spacing mark and will be encoded in the
reading and typing order (but for this specific usage, the common middle
dot would be enough and will work on both writing directions).