Re: Unicode block for programming related symbols and codepoints?

From: William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 10:48:18 +0000 (GMT)

> The problem is that Unicode only encodes characters which are effectively used today or which have been used in the past.

Well, that was the case, but the situation appears to be changing.

There is my feedback note that is the last item in the following linked document.

http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2015/15019-pubrev.html

> It doesn’t encode characters which could perhaps be used in a hypothetical new programing language in the future.

Well, that was the case and might still be the case.

We will only find out for sure, and then only for a particular case, when a situation arises where the Unicode Technical Committee rules about a petition submitted to the committee requesting the encoding of some such characters.

The fact that the rules over what can be encoded are changing rapidly opens up great possibilities for future developments from ideas put forward from the community.

If the changes in policy continue then this will be very beneficial to progress as a regular Unicode encoding makes an encoding of free equal use for all with no proprietary aspect to the encoding.

William Overington