Re: Use of Flags as Language Identifier on the Web (was: About cultural/languages communities flags)

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 19:20:23 +0100

There are many examples and notably on home pages of a lot of commercial
sites un their top bar and in startup selectors of many mobile apps or in
popular games or on various including translation tools or catalogues of
dictionnaires ans manu printed dictionbaries show these flags on their
cover, including wellknown ones from famous brands such as Harraps or
Larousse.
Or on official sites of various tourism information offices and museums on
their printed leaflets or on museums. They do not support all languages
with accurate translations but are giving a visual choice or indicator of
the language this way.
Many physical products use these flags on their printed labels or boxes and
embedded leaflets for listing used components or describe their use. As
this saves space on the limited size of the label or box.
Most people cannot identify standard language codes correctly but recognize
the flag commonly used to designate their language.
These icons also replace bullet separators for their visual impact, they
are true symbols acting like ponctuation, but more visible si they allow
saving newlines as well.
Even if country flags are not culturally neutral for those languages they
are very often sufficient for the few listed languages.
And with the same frequency we see packagings showing country codes instead
of language codes.
When they realize that country flags are too much culturally/politically
oriented they do not want tout show them will juste use region codes, more
less decorated (not always standard ISO codes but like on car plates).
These uses are on fact very old, before standardisation of language codes
and they have notre disappeared and will likely not in any expected short
time frame. Now with the internet available around the world, massively
advertized and used daily in multiple times or activities, people know
their country code but still not their langage code...