Re: Combined Yorùbá characters with dot below and tonal diacritics

From: Andrew Cunningham <lang.support_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 13:06:51 +1000

Hi Ilya,

The problem with approach documented below is two fold:

1) the characters required do not all exist as precomposed characters thus
microsoft's dead key sequences will not work for yoruba.

2) certaon alt-gr sequences are not quaranteed to work in all programs.
Some programs treat the Alt-Gr sequence as the equivalent to the Alt key
sequence. With program shortcuts overriding keyboard input.

From memory this was a problem we would have with MS Word. Care needs to be
taken selecting AltGr sequences to implement in keyboard.

And adding frequently typed characters like vowels and tone marks to altgr
is usually a bad idea. Easier to move less needed sequences to the altgr
state putting feequently type characters on the normal and shift states

Andrew

http://search.cpan.org/~ilyaz/UI-KeyboardLayout/lib/UI/KeyboardLayout.pm

--
Andrew Cunningham
Project Manager, Research and Development
(Social and Digital Inclusion)
Public Libraries and Community Engagement
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Australia