Re: Combined Yorùbá characters with dot below and tonal diacritics

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:18:02 +0100

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 21:52:05 -0700
Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse_at_ilyaz.org> wrote:

> P.S. If it was not clear, the AltGr-keys in my initial message should
> produce combinations with U+0329.

And that is why it won't work. The dead key mechanism is based on
trios of dead key, plain character and composed character, but the
plain character and the composed character have to be single codepoints
in the BMP. Dead keys don't work for cuneiform!

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 07:07:01 +0200
Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> It's effectively a good catch that MSKLC (version 1.4) cannot produce
> sequences of characters (just one code point) with dead key sequences
> or anywhere it its keymap (independantly of the current keyboard
> state).

> May be Michael S. Kaplan (author of MSKLC at Microsoft) could review
> that limitation and propose an upgrade so that MSKLC would really be
> compliant with the Unicode character encoding policy without forcing
> users to enter every code point separately and map them separately on
> their keymaps.

My understanding is that the driver used is now obsolete ('legacy'), and
one should write a keyboard using the Text Services Framework, as
Tavultesoft keyman does.

Conceptually, a dead key takes up a modified key for a single
character. It is typed in an unnatural order to mimic the limitation
of a mechanical typewriter. It's perhaps taken on a life of its own as
a way of providing another modifier, and it does also support an
obsession with writing text in NFC.

Richard.