Re: Why doesn't Ideographic (ID) in UAX#14 have half-width katakana?

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 21:33:49 +0900

I support Makoto for the change. Nobody should appreciate that behavior, either worked around locally (Firefox, IE) or unnoticed (Chrome). Rather than implementing yet another work around in Chrome, I wish it being fixed finally after 15 years.

If this issue is like 5 people say break and 5 not to, or considering the long life of the bug, 9 say break and 1 say not to, I understand that Ken’s answer might make more sense. However, I’m quite sure that this is a 10-0 issue. Everyone using UAX#14 has to choose from trailer, unnoticed, or won’t fix. I think that kind of things should better be fixed.

Half-width CJK should follow the same line breaking class as their wide counterparts. From that point of view, half-width Hangul being AL is actually correct. (Note that this is not the same as full-width oftentimes having the different classes than their narrow counterparts.)

Half-width punctuations already have correct classes, so they’re fine. Symbols in U+FFE8-FFEE are AL, which looks also incorrect, but I do not find these code points in any CJK legacy encoding. Where had they come from? Logical thinking is to assign the same classes as their wide counterparts, but I can’t be sure without knowing where they came from.

Ken, does this change cause problems in terms of the stability policy?

/koji