Re: Why doesn't Ideographic (ID) in UAX#14 have half-width katakana?

From: Asmus Freytag (t) <asmus-inc_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 12:12:59 -0700

Thank you, Ken, for your dedicated archeological efforts.

I would like to emphasize that, at the time, UAX#14 reflected observed
behavior, in particular (but not exclusively) for MS products some of
which (at the time) used an LB algorithm that effectively matched an
untailored UAX#14.

However, recently, the W3C has spent considerable effort to look into
different layout-related algorithms and specification. If, in that
context, a consensus approach is developed that would point to a better
"default" behavior for untailored UAX#14-style line breaking, I would
regard that as a critical mass of support to allow UTC to consider
tinkering with such a long-standing set of property assignments.

This would be true, especially, if it can be demonstrated that (other
than matching legacy behavior) there's no context that would benefit
from the existing classification. I note that this was something several
posters implied.

So, if implementers of the legacy behavior are amenable to achieve this
by tailoring, and if the change augments the number of situations where
untailored UAX#14-style line breaking can be used, that would be a win
that might offset the cost of a disruptive change.

We've heard arguments why the proposed change is technically superior
for Japanese. We now need to find out whether there are contexts where a
change would adversely affect users/implementers. Following that, we
would look for endorsements of the proposal from implementers or other
standards organizations such as W3C (and, if at all possible, agreement
from those implementers who use the untailored algorithm now). With
these three preconditions in place, I would support an effort of the UTC
to revisit this question.

A./