Re: Arrow dingbats

From: Andrew West <andrewcwest_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 20:13:02 +0100

On 28 May 2015 at 05:48, Chris <idou747_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Unicode has the arrow dingbats in the range 2b05 with names like “LEFTWARDS BLACK ARROW"
> conspicuously missing is the right arrow
>
> But everywhere I can see that has this arrow, it looks a lot different to
> the other arrows with a narrower body and head.
>
> Whose fault is this,

The three left/up/downwards black arrows were added at the request of
North Korea, so I guess you can blame Kim Jong-Il for the missing
rightwards arrow ... perhaps the North Korean army never went to the
right.

> and who will fix it?

It was fixed in Unicode 7.0 last year with the addition of U+2B95
RIGHTWARDS BLACK ARROW. Of course, it may not be fixed for you and
other users unless you have a font installed that supports all the
arrows in a consistent style.

I don't know why the character was added in 7.0, but it may have been
prompted by the same question as yours that was asked on this list in
2013 <http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2013-m10/0078.html>.

Andrew