Re: Re: Some questions about Unicode's CJK Unified Ideograph

From: Andrew West <andrewcwest_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 12:42:41 +0100

On 31 May 2015 at 09:43, gfb hjjhjh <c933103_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> As of ⿰言亞 versus ⿰言亜, as I don't have much knowledge about Vietnamese and
> the character is from chu han instead of chu nom, I don't really know if
> there are any semantic difference between the two, but at least the one
> usage of ⿰言亜 shown in the word on that dictionary page would be something
> like "dumb, mute" which were not listed as part of the meaning of the
> character 䛩 in wiktionary.

The way CJK unification works, you don't need to show that there is a
semantic difference between the two forms, just that the form is used
in a reputable source. Can you send me off-list a scan of the
character from the Vietnamese dictionary you mention?

> And for the proper name mark and book name mark, while i see the point that
> it wiuld be best achieve via word processor styling or markup language, so
> is it a good idea to integrating things similar to markup language into
> unicode, like create a character ps that indicate start of proper name mark
> and pe for end of proper name mark, then typing psPROPERNAMEpe would result
> in something similar to <u>PROPERNAME</u>?

I think you can achieve the appropriate styling for web pages using CSS:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-css-text-decor-3-20130103/#text-decoration-style-property

> And if using the work around suggested by Andrew, yes the hair space work
> but it a distance between characters a gap with width equal to an 'i'. Have
> also tried characters like u+200c or u+034f which does not work.

Even with OpenType it is not easy to contextually create a gap between
two combining underlines as the characters are not adjacent (I don't
think it is impossible, but the only way I can think of doing it is
rather unpleasant; perhaps other font experts on this list know an
easy way of doing it).

> and it seem
> like babelstone han is not supporting U+1AB6?

U+1AB6 is supported in the next release of BabelStone Han (due for
release very soon, probably within the next week or two).

> and is there any vertical
> edition of the two characters...

The combining underline and wavy line characters will work OK with a
vertically oriented CJK font (they will display on the left).
Unfortunately BabelStone does not currently work very well in vertical
orientation.

Andrew