Re: Tag characters and in-line graphics (from Tag characters)

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 07:42:31 +0200

No, nothing about what you propose, which is to encode graphics directly
with a custom syntax using specific Unicode characters for this syntax
itself.
There's no such statement in the UTR, even for "longer term".
What is proposed instead is a way to *reference* (not "define") graphics.
For the rest, you need a rich-text format to embed graphics (using the
syntax of this rich-text format, such as HTML), but this syntax remains out
of scope of Unicode which will not standardize any graphic format, or any
language by its syntax.
Even for CLDR, you will use some JSON or XML rich-text format to create
references, or embed some small graphics. But CLDR is NOT part of the
Unicode Standard itself, and does not encode new characters (and I've not
seen the CLDR requesing additions in the UCS for its own use, instead it
uses its own assignments for PUAs where needed, als also for its own
private locale tags for internal references within the CLDR data itself).