Re: Another take on the English apostrophe in Unicode

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 08:24:11 +0200

I don't agree with this Grévisse definition (and I'm not alone, other
grammarians and dictionaries don't follow Grévisse, and even the French
Academy disagrees).

May be this is a form of composition but the correct term is nothz that it
create a new word, it just means that words take new semantics in specific
contexts (here, idiomatic expressions where the term "pomme" is a minor
shift of meaning, that also occurs in "pomme de pin" = "pineapple", or
"chou pomme" and as well in the alternate semantic of "pomme" related only
to its rouch shape to designate a human head and by extension a person,
also used in idiomatic expressions like "c'est pour ma pomme"). But the
word itself is not different and in fact the etymology is the same, this
was only a progressive extension of semantic that created finally an
idiomatic expression, but not a new word.

A compound word (mot composé") needs a clear gluing, by an hyphen, or
apostrophe, or absence of space and punctuation. Grévisse still records
many good advices that are too frequently forgotten today, but here it got
too far in details that was not needed to preserve the semantics of the
language.

Another proof is the cuisne expression "pomme frite" which does not mean a
fried aple fruit, but a fried potato: "pomme de terre" has been abreviated
to only "pomme", and this term even disappears now when the participle verb
"frite" used as an epithetic adjective is then substantivated. The
idiomatic expression "pomme de terre" is not so much idiomatic, this is
just a extension lemma added to the term "pomme" (apple). The composition
has in fact never be clearly attested, but if it was, hyphens would have
been used since long (many hyphens are now starting to disappear in
compiund words, replaced by direct gluing which is admitted in most cases).