Re: Adding RAINBOW FLAG to Unicode

From: Pierpaolo Bernardi <olopierpa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 23:23:53 +0200

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 10:14 PM, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Why would associating a flag and a rainbow this way means the flag will
> just be recolored (but the rainbox form itself is completely lost)?
> Couldn't this be to display a flying flag over a sky with a rainbow?
> Compare this to the association of the sun and the rainbow symbols, or the
> cloud and a rainbow (and compare to the sun or moon and a cloud associated
> the same way, or the association of two clouds: none of them will overlap
> completely).
>
> Imagine the use in a weather application, I don't wee why the rainbox
> would disappear when the flying flag is just there to mean the windy
> condition, and the rainbox meant for variable weather mixing rainy and
> sunny periods.
>
> Your proposed use of ZWJ to create a complete overlap of one symbol into
> another is unexpected.

A ZWJ does not cause two random characters to overlap. It creates a
ligature, and the ligature can be rendered in any way the font designers
prefer. If there's a need for this character, font designers could agree
to render this ligature in the desired way.

In case there's the need, the Unicode Consortium could hint at the intended
meaning of this ligature, I think?