Re: Adding RAINBOW FLAG to Unicode (Fwd: Representing Additional Types of Flags)

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 07:04:13 -0600

Noah Slater wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Philippe's core argument is
> that geopolitical entities and flags (as a specific instances of a
> design, in the heraldic sense) are disjoint. And that using
> geopolitical codes to refer to these designs is inherently unstable.

But the only alternative is to encode about 200 discrete emoji for what
we think of as "country" flags, plus somewhere between 0 and 5000 for
flags of what we think of as "subdivisions."

And in the end, when users see these emoji, they will still think "Oh,
that's the US flag" or "the French flag" or "the Japanese flag" or
whatever. They will still associate them with geopolitical entities.
That's the whole purpose of such flags.

(Either that or they will associate them with languages, which is far
more unstable than anything else being discussed here.)

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸