Re: Input methods at the age of Unicode

From: Hans Aberg <haberg-1_at_telia.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 15:20:11 +0200

> On 16 Jul 2015, at 11:53, Marcel Schneider <charupdate_at_orange.fr> wrote:

> On 16 Jul 2015, at 10:35, Hans Aberg <haberg-1_at_telia.com> wrote:
>
> > One still has to figure out a good map.
>
> Yes this is the primary issue for every newly encoded script, and it remains important with respect to ergonomics.
>
> I just wanted to say that I'm focussing on the Compose tree of a Latin keyboard layout.
>
> Do you mean that the US American English keymap should be thoroughly reengineered too, additionally to the solutions of ANSI, ISO, and August Dvorak?

It may suffice with a logical layout, letters in alphabetical order. The traditional layouts were designed for speed typing on physical typing machines, specifically, with fixed finger positioning, in order not having look at the keyboard while typing.

Speed typing is not so important in these days, as it is mostly for secretaries that write down material in other format. And the computer keyboard does not have the physical limitation of mechanical typewriters.

It is also considerably faster with moving finger positioning, which can be done if one does not have too look at some text while typing.