Re: Keyman Developer for free? (was: Re: Input methods at the age of Unicode)

From: Marc Durdin <marc_at_keyman.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:55:27 +0000

> On 18 Jul 2015, at 12:32 am, Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org> wrote:
>
> Marc Durdin <marc at keyman dot com> wrote:
>
>> On Windows, you can always use Keyman and Keyman Developer to create
>> very flexible input methods that work across pretty much any app,
>> FWIW. Both of these are available free these days at least in basic
>> editions (www.keyman.com/desktop and www.keyman.com/developer). Just
>> providing another alternative.
>
> Can you provide a specific link to a freely available version? I hadn't
> heard before that there was such a thing, and the links above don't say
> anything about free. Limited-time evaluation versions don't count, of
> course.

http://tavultesoft.com/beta has the free download of Developer 9. The beta has the license key requirement but you can obtain a free perpetual license key on that page as well.

While Keyman Developer 9 is version still in beta, it is stable and we are finalising the documentation and a few loose ends. The release version will continue to be free.

Version 9 includes support for building keyboards for Windows, web, mobile web, iOS and Android, with Mac OS X coming shortly. The web and mobile web versions run with KeymanWeb 2.0 which is open source at http://www.keyman.com/developer/keymanweb. Keyman apps for mobile platforms can be found at keyman.com as well.

Sorry if this sounds a bit like a commercial but wanted to clear up the some uncertainty on where Keyman is at today.

Marc