Re: Input methods at the age of Unicode

From: Janusz S. Bien <jsbien_at_mimuw.edu.pl>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 16:51:24 +0200

Quote/Cytat - Marcel Schneider <charupdate_at_orange.fr> (Sat 18 Jul 2015
04:33:23 PM CEST):

> On 16 Jul 2015, at 23:59:24 +0100, Eli Zaretskii wrote: wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I do that a lot, because the number of convenient input methods
>> in Emacs far outnumbers what I have on MS-Windows. For example, if I
>> have to type Russian with no Russian keyboard available, the
>> cyrillic-translit input method is a life savior.
>
> You might wish also to use the Windows on-screen keyboard which
> allows to see what's exactly on each key while typing on whatever
> physical keyboard, without any need to have the keycap labels match
> the layout. This on-screen keyboard is built-in, only it does not
> support Kana shift states.
> Likewise Windows came to me along with all that is needed to type Ἐν
> ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος, so I canʼt really believe that users need Emacs as
> a savior.

cyrillic-translit and most other Emacs input methods are more
convenient than on-screen keyboard, especially if you don't like to
use mouse and your goal is to get the text into Emacs :-)

> When process garbage is an environmental issue, one might consider
> that our real savior is Notepad++, thanks to its energy saving
> algorithms. Indeed I do not think that we should get supplemental
> input facilities at any price. This is why, too, the goal should be
> to pack a reasonably large subset of Unicode into the very core of
> the keyboard driver of every locale, and make it accessible right
> there with a Compose tree.

I don't think it would be practical.

> Every time we open charmap dialogs or even go on the internet to
> pick a character, weʼre consuming some energy,

Agreed.

> and if itʼs a routine task that could be done with a memorized

Memorizing also requires some effort and energy.

> Compose sequence, that energy is wasted. I donʼt know if itʼs a real
> issue, but Iʼm likely to believe it is.
>
> Of course we need some software as a savior, but this software is
> consequently called Zotero and helps us save and manage our research
> results (“Search, not re-search!” https://www.zotero.org).

I have nothing against Zotero, but its mention here seems completely
irrelevant.

Best regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)