re: Emoji characters for food allergens

From: Marcel Schneider <charupdate_at_orange.fr>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 09:48:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hi William,

Sorry.

On 28 Jul 2015, at 12:19, William_J_G Overington wrote:

> Well a lot could be done information technology-wise to facilitate communication through the language barrier.

> For example in text messages, sent by email, or over a mobile telephone link or maybe thrown to a device nearby, to communicate dietary needs, using the emoji characters for food allergens that we are discussing in this thread: this information could then be localized into text automatically in the receiving device;

> For example, by using a smartphone by reading from an RFID tag (radio-frequency identification tag) on a shelf label in a supermarket display about a product . The RFID tag could contain the food allergen information about the food encoded using the emoji characters for food allergens that we are discussing in this thread: this information could then be localized into text automatically in the smartphone.

Alternately, scanning the EAN barcode on the package could give access to a database intended for food information. This requires the use of a smartphone or other compatible device.

Another use of allergen emojis would be to respond to an invitation by SMS. Somebody inviting to dinner at home, can gather information from guests about what allergens to keep away from the ingredients list when cooking. This is typically an emoji case.

The emotions implied with food allergens are concern, fear and anxiety. But, as already discussed in this thread, emoticons/emojis must not necessarily convey an emotion, the term having become somehow a generic for symbols.

Best regards,

Marcel Schneider