Re: Emoji characters for food allergens

From: Asmus Freytag (t) <asmus-inc_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 16:14:57 -0700

Nice anecdote.

I share the concerns you raise in your reflection on the limits of
shared conventions. Unicode cannot be so constrained that it encodes
only universally accepted icons, but it should be constrained to not
encode characters on foot of possible conventions that are not actually
demonstrated anywhere. There's currently no convention for denoting
allergens by emoji (pictorial renditions), so that usage is something
that is speculative at the moment.

Not as speculative is the suggestion that certain food items should be
added - it seems to be an acceptable principle to encode "iconic" foods.
That would argue for emoji for milk and bread (w/o cross aliasing it as
gluten), but not for soy beans, for example.

A./