Re: Emoji characters for food allergens

From: Marcel Schneider <charupdate_at_orange.fr>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 22:09:32 +0200 (CEST)

On 04 Aug 2015, at 01:24, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> if you're interested in this kind of pictographic pidgin, take a look at https://www.kwikpoint.com/ Someone already did some of it.

Personally I canʼt do, nor support thoroughly, anything about pictographic language. I just answer some e-mails. Iʼm too busy with implementing a relatively modest subset of Unicode at keyboard driver level. But itʼs indeed very interesting to learn about this already thriving publishing, and Iʼm glad that even human lives have been saved thanks to this new way to overcome the language barrier. So as this post refers to one of my replies, I assume the task of thanking Mr Shoulson for this information.

I note that Kwikpoint Instructional Systems are used notably when there is no means of calling a translator, as a pragmatic approach like in the example on the home page, where body language is used to complete the item on which it is understandable. By a lucky coincidence, this example has been performed in the country of ancient Babel.

Applying the point-to-picture method to food allergens, one could wish to point to skull-and-crossbones, then to an ear of wheat or a loaf of bread, then to an egg, then to a cheese wedge or a glass of milk, then to a lupin flower, then to some kinds of nuts, finishing with skull-and-crossbones again. Because as Mr Freytag points out, the allergen meaning of a food symbol cannot be induced safely enough. And as he explains, itʼs desirable that the needed symbols be at least highly iconic, and ideally regulated by other standards bodies than Unicode. I do wish that Kwikpoint be so successful that the symbols it creates for missing items become widely popular.

Best regards,
Marcel