Re: Windows keyboard restrictions

From: Andrew Cunningham <lang.support_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 17:05:26 +1000

On Saturday, 8 August 2015, Richard Wordingham<
richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:

Michael did do a series of blog posts on building TSF based input methods
years ago. Something I tinkered with off and on.

> What we're waiting for is a guide we can follow, or some code we can
> ape. Such should be, or should have been, available in a Tavultesoft
> Keyman rip-off.

I don't believe in rip-offs esp when there a free versions and the enhanced
version doesn't cost much.

But that said there is KMFL on linux which handles a subset of the keyman
definition files. And Keith Striebly, before he died, did a port of the
kmfl lib to windows. But I doubt anyone is maintaining it.

But reality is that the use cases discussed in this and related threads do
not need fairly complex or sophisticated layouts. So kmfl and derivates
should be fine respite how limited I consider them.

Alternative there are a range of input frameworks developed in se asia that
would be easy to work with as well.

Alternative input frameworks have been around for years. Its up to use them
or not use them.

I don't see much point bleating about the limitations of the win32 keyboard
model. Just use amlternative input framework .. wether it is TSF table
based input, keyman , kmfl port to windows or any of a large slather of
input frameworks that are available out there.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham
Project Manager, Research and Development
(Social and Digital Inclusion)
Public Libraries and Community Engagement
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Australia