Re: Standardised Variation Sequences with Toggles

From: Andrew West <andrewcwest_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 09:16:45 +0100

On 16 August 2015 at 23:50, Richard Wordingham
<richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> @+ For details about the implementation of variation sequences in
>> Phags-pa, please refer to the Phags-pa section of the core
>> specification.
>
> a) This is likely to be ignored by someone who is just looking for the
> *specification*. I think replacing 'implementation' by 'rendering'
> would be better. I would be inclined to add, 'These sequences are more
> complicated than they appear at first reading'. Otherwise, someone
> will just add them to the character to glyph conversion section of a
> font and think, "Job done".

That's not a plausible scenario. Phags-pa has complex shaping and
joining requirements, and it is impossible for someone to create a
properly functioning Phags-pa font based on the code charts alone. If
anyone did implement Phags-pa in a font based solely on the Unicode or
10646 code charts, with no joining or shaping behaviour, for use as a
fallback font or as a code chart font then naively implementing U+A856
+ U+FE00 (VS1) as a mirrored glyph is not unreasonable. If they want
to produce a Phags-pa font for displaying running Phags-pa text then
at a minimum they will need to read the appropriate section of the
core specification.

Andrew