Re: Latin glottal stop in ID in NWT, Canada

From: Marcel Schneider <charupdate_at_orange.fr>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 12:46:37 +0200 (CEST)

Please disregard my previous faulty e-mail. I don't have much time to spend on issues that I'm not directly concerned with, so sadly I'm very stressed.
Here is the accurate one:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 16:04:20 +0000, Denis Jacquerye wrote:

> The Toronto Star, Metro News Toronto had articles using the uppercase Ɂ U+0241 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER GLOTTAL STOP in the name SahaiɁa. This probably should have been the unicase ʔ U+0294 or the lowercase ɂ U+0241 LATIN SMALL LETTER GLOTTAL STOP (Chipewyan sources I found use one or the other character for the lowercase letters).

I  believe itʼs not too much to insist that here is no inconsistency of usage inside a given community. Based on the lowercase glottal stop encoding proposal,[1] we know that at least with respect to glottal stop casing, Chipewyan is the language of two distinct communities which are geographically separate. In North-West Territories, Chipewyan uses the bicameral glottal stop, and in Saskatchewan, Chipewyan uses the unicameral glottal stop.

Based upon this, I  suppose that those among the cited Chipewyan sources which use unicase glottal stop, originate from Saskatchewan, and that those using lowercase glottal stop, originate from NWT, and that both happen to contain only instances of glottal stop in lowercase positions.

By this occasion I  apologize for having written about unification of usage.

Best regards,

Marcel

[1] http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2962.pdf