Re: Terminology (was: Latin glottal stop in ID in NWT, Canada)

From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz_at_gnu.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 14:43:27 +0300

> Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 12:33:32 +0100
> From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
>
> > AFAIU, Unicode is about processing text, and only mentions display
> > rarely, where it's directly related to the processing part. So the
> > above is about _processing_ canonically-equivalent sequences, not
> > about their display. When looked at in this way, I see no
> > difficulties in understanding the text.
>
> Display is part of interpretation - indeed, it is currently the most
> important part. At least, I would interpret displaying U+0041 with a
> glyph like 'X' (an example in 'D2 Character identity') as violating:
>
> "C4: A process shall interpret a coded character sequence according
> to the character semantics established by this standard, if that process
> does interpret that coded character sequence."

Sorry, I don't see this as a violation. "Interpret" doesn't have to
include display.

> > The Hebrew script is never an alphabet, AFAIU, it's likely an abugida
> > when the vowel marks are used.
>
> No, the definition of an abugida is that there is a default vowel which
> is indicated by the absence of any vowel mark. In fully pointed
> Hebrew, it's only final, silent and quiescent consonants that lack vowel
> marks.

Are you saying that "a default vowel which is indicated by the absence
of any vowel mark" excludes the absence of any vowel? If so, then I'd
consider that strange, but all it means Hebrew does not fit this
classification at all.

> > The so-called "full spelling", where some vowels are indicated by
> > consonants, does not replace all the vowels with consonants, so it
> > isn't, strictly speaking, an alphabet in the above sense.
>
> Nor would I claim it as such.

But you did say:

> the presence or absence of vowel marks switches the Arabic and
> Hebrew scripts, as used for those languages, between being an abjad
> and being an alphabet.

Then when is the Hebrew script an alphabet, in your view?