Re: Sources for the B&W emoji samples in the PDFs

From: Manuel Strehl <boldewyn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 20:35:54 +0100

Thank you, Doug and Rick!

> If you can find the most recent version of the Symbola font updated
> for Unicode 8.0, it contains a huge number of symbols and b/w
> emoticons, etc.
Yes, that's kind of the Go-to-font for pan-emoji support. It's a pity,
that George won't continue development (although I am happy, that he
provides the current version at his website again). As I understood, his
ambitions are towards technically more advanced typefaces, and I find
his new Textfonts project quite interesting.

(Also I love his Unidings font, a very nice and well-concepted
alternative to the Last Resort font of Michael Everson. Unfortunately
also discontinued beyond Unicode 8.0.)

But I digress. So, basically we found, that Symbola and the pictures in
the Standard are more often than not different, which was the incentive
to find out, where the ones in the standard might stem from.
>> Those references are likely the best you're going to get. Many
>> original images came from Apple and Google, and some from Japanese
>> telcos, but it's important to reiterate -- possibly to the Twitter
>> group as well -- that there are no "standard" or "official" (by
>> which I mean normative) glyphs for emoji or any other characters. Any
>> rendering that maintains the basic identity of the character is fine.
We are all three quite sure of the concept of emoji :-) But while many
other blocks have a known set of fonts (like Phoreus for Cherokee, to
quote a recent example), I figured, that there'd be a list of known
resources, where the samples from the standard are taken from.

(In this regard: I monitor Twitter quite closely for the search term
"Unicode", and time and again people complain there, that emoji render
different on different devices, which seems to be indeed rather
surprising for non-technical people.)

So, thanks again for the answers!

Cheers,
Manuel