Re: Proposal for German capital letter "ß"

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 00:05:00 +0000

On 9 Dec 2015, at 22:57, Asmus Freytag (t) <asmus-inc_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> In my new edition of the first German translation of “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland”, the editor and I made sure that the cakes said “Iẞ MICH!” and not “Iß MICH!”. :-)
>
> And the correct spelling (modern) would have been "Iss mich" (or capitalized version as in your case).

Well, we were updating from the 1869 Fraktur orthography to one suitable for the modern era. We did not use the Schlechtschreibung, in terms of our dissatisfaction with it, and in consideration of the timelessness of the Victorian text.

Our choice of “Iẞ MICH!” as opposed to “Iß MICH!” or “ISS MICH!” was based on good orthographic practice often found in Germany, regardless of whether it is official or not. Please note that “official” and “correct” are not the same things.

It is OBVIOUS that if Maße and Masse are distinguished in lower-case then it is advantageous to users and their data if they upper-case to MAẞE and MASSE.