Re: Proposal for German capital letter "ß"

From: Frédéric Grosshans <frederic.grosshans_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 11:45:22 +0100

Le 10/12/2015 05:32, Martin J. Dürst a écrit :
> A similar example is the use of accents on upper-case letters in
> French in France where 'officially', upper-case letters are written
> without accents.
Actually, the official body in charge of this (Académie Française) has
always recommended upper-case letters with accents , but the school
teachers teach the other way, and accents on capital letters was
technically challenging (in printing, writing machines and keyboard), so
many people think the official recommendation is to drop them, and that
is anyway complicated. But I often get question from non technical
people on how I type É, œ, or Œ, which shows that they are natural.

(French language Wikipedia has more details on this
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_des_majuscules_en_fran%C3%A7ais ,
including the fact that the rules in Switzerland are different.)

     Frédéric