RE: Devanagari and Subscript and Superscript

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 12:26:38 -0700

srivas sinnathurai wrote:

> Does the standard support the use of diacritics in plain text format,
> when used with all and any complex scripts?

It probably depends on what you mean by "support" and "diacritics." I
can type a Tamil letter followed by a combining acute accent or
diaeresis, and in Arial Unicode MS it actually looks halfway decent.
Many years ago, William Overington famously put a combining circumflex
on top of U+2604 COMET. You just type one character followed by another
and hope for the best, display-wise. You don't get any other special
behavior.

I'm not sure if this was supposed to be a comment on my statement that
arbitrary subscript and superscript is similar to other attributes that
are not defined to be part of plain text.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸