Re: Turned Capital letter L (pointing to the left, with serifs)

From: Frédéric Grosshans <frederic.grosshans_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 21:33:45 +0000

I looked all the pages of the 1809 edition of _Theoria motus corporum
coelestium in sectionibus conicis solem ambientium_
https://archive.org/stream/bub_gb_ORUOAAAAQAAJ where Gauss used this
notation in pages 80-81. Almost all notations are standard enough to be
familiar to any modern (2015) mathematician or physicist, with two
exceptions : this "7" symbol and ☊ U+260A ASCENDING NODE (which is still
standard in astronomy). The Greek letters in particular have a pretty
standard shape, and I don't see why this symbol would be the only geek
letter using a fancy cursive shape. Even the Latin letters used standard
shapes ( italic, roman, a few capital fraktur).

That said, I did not spot a tau in the text, while most of the Greek
alphabet was used. Could "7" be a standard shape for tau in 1809 Hamburg ?

However, I still think it is a ⦢ U+29A2 TURNED ANGLE

  Frédéric