RE: Encoding/Use of pontial unpaired UTF-16 surrogate pair specifiers

From: Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 08:21:01 +0000

Typically XOR’ing a constant isn’t really considered worth messing with. It’s somewhat trivial to figure out the key to un-XOR.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016, 6:31 PM J Decker <d3ck0r_at_gmail.com<mailto:d3ck0r_at_gmail.com>> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Shawn Steele
<Shawn.Steele_at_microsoft.com<mailto:Shawn.Steele_at_microsoft.com>> wrote:
> Why do you need illegal unicode code points?

This originated from learning Javascript; which is internally UTF-16.
Playing with localStorage, some browsers use a sqlite3 database to
store values. The database is UTF-8 so there must be a valid
conversion between the internal UTF-16 and UTF-8 localStorage (and
reverse). I wanted to obfuscate the data stored for a certain
application; and cover all content that someone might send. Having
slept on this, I realized that even if hieroglyphics were stored, if I
pulled out the character using codePointAt() and applied a 20 bit
random value to it using XOR it could end up as a normal character,
and I wouldn't know I had to use a 20 bit value... so every character
would have to use a 20 bit mask (which could end up with a value
that's D800-DFFF).

I've reconsidered and think for ease of implementation to just mask
every UTF-16 character (not codepoint) with a 10 bit value, This will
result in no character changing from BMP space to surrogate-pair or
vice-versa.

Thanks for the feedback.
(sorry if I've used some terms inaccurately)