Re: Case for letters j and J with acute

From: Markus Scherer <markus.icu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 08:05:40 -0800

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 7:58 AM, Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
wrote:

> On 9 Feb 2016, at 11:18, ACJ Unicode <unicode_at_acjs.net> wrote:
>
> > This is taught in writing in primary school in the Netherlands (or at
> least it was 30 years ago), but this practice is often abandoned soon
> afterwards, probably because of the technical difficulty. The only way to
> achieve this digitally appears to have LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH ACUTE
> (U+00ED) be followed by LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS J (U+0237) and COMBINING
> ACUTE ACCENT (U+0301).
>
> It is a font rendering issue. A pre-composed j́ will not be added to the
> standard.

The regular 'j' has the Soft_Dotted property, which means that when you add
a diacritic-above, the dot should go away.
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr44/#Soft_Dotted
When the dot does not disappear, please submit an error report for the
platform/browser you are using.

> • it adds complexity to automating the process of adding emphasis
> to vowels;
> > • technical support is understandably lacking;
>
> True, but for technical reasons pre-composed characters will NOT be added
> to the standard.
>
> > • LATIN SMALL LETTER J WITH ACUTE;
> > • LATIN CAPITAL LETTER J WITH ACUTE.
>
> This just won’t ever happen.