Re: Copyleft Symbol

From: Ken Shirriff <ken.shirriff_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 08:15:57 -0800

My advice:

The most important thing is to have enough examples of the symbol in use in
running text (i.e. not an icon or logo). Real published documents that
demonstrate a user community are important.

I recommend studying Unicode's Criteria for Encoding Symbols
<http://www.unicode.org/pending/symbol-guidelines.html> carefully.

The rules for emoji are totally different, so saying "but emoji..." is
meaningless.

The proposal <http://unicodepowersymbol.com/>to add the power symbol to
Unicode is a good proposal example that you can use as a model.

As far as the copyleft symbol, it's well-defined (has a wikipedia page) and
a web search shows demand for the symbol. It is used in running text and
has semantic meaning. You found it goes back to 2000, so it's not a
transient fad. I think a proposal would have a good chance of success if
you can find a number of good examples of usage.

This is my personal advice - I don't speak for anyone - but I've had a
couple symbols accepted so these guidelines work for me.

Ken