Re: Possible to add new precomposed characters for local language in Togo?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 09:00:26 +0100

> I've worked to upload a keyboard for local languages in Togo to XKB
> project, it is a combination keyboard based on French keyboard and extended
> to make it possible to write all the local languages in Togo. However many
> of the languages have several tones and even use combined tones. However
> when I tried to update the composer to make it work it seems like the
> composer only can give back a precomposed character and not a string with
> combined characters.
>
> I now wonder, generally, is it best to add new precomposed characters to
> Unicode? Should there be a unicode symbol for each combination used? What
> is best practise? I ask because I see some unicodes are precomposed
> characters, I'm not sure why they are useful, but if they are maybe we also
> should add these?

You don't need that.

Keyboard layouts MUST generate the combining sequence. (It's then up to the
text editors and softwares to adapt themselves to the possibility that a
single keystroke could generate multiple characters/code points, and to
handle themselves the case of text selection and corrections by grapheme
cluster rather than by single character/code point: this is already done in
many softwares, including for the Latin script).

However, Unicode could standardize names for these "common" combinations
(without assigning new code points, which is not needed). There's already a
supplementary datafile for them.