Re: Character folding in text editors

From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz_at_gnu.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 18:22:07 +0200

> From: "Asmus Freytag (t)" <asmus-inc_at_ix.netcom.com>
> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 14:10:04 -0800
>
> > What about language-independent character-folding: where in the
> > Unicode database is the data for that?
> >

> Unicode, even CLDR, doesn't nearly have enough data for the purpose.

This seems to contradict what others said: they said CLDR includes the
necessary data. What is missing from CLDR, and how bad will the
omissions affect searching?

> (and as a corollary of what Elias points out, it's likely to annoy users of every language, in that it would fold essential and non-essential distinctions indiscriminately).

Users can easily turn the folding off if they don't like it or if it
gets in the way.

The important question is: will Emacs with this feature be more or
less useful than without it? Another important question is whether
character folding in searches should be turned on or off by default.
IOW, should we expect more users wanting to turn it off than on?

AFAIU, the very least that should be provided is being able to find
decomposed characters when a composed one is searched for. The data
for this, AFAIU, is in UnicodeData.txt in the form of the canonical
decompositions. Is this correct?

> none has seen folding of diacritics as useful

Really? So you are saying that, based on your experience, being able
to ignore diacritics in searches is not a useful feature?