Re: Girl, 12, charged for threatening her school with emojis

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 01:04:07 +0100

Today's Japanese emojis are (for most of them) recent inventions; may be
there are some earlier tracks in Japanese comics, but you may as well find
them in comics of America or Europe since the about the 1940's.

All these icons were *later* renamed emojis in English and Unicode, but
there's a long history of using icons for such emotions Look at the little
heart drawn near the signature on an handwritten letter or discrete
messages, or similar symbols carved by lovers on walls and trees. Or long
before as a sign of recognition such as the fish for the first Christians
in the Roman Empire, or even before in some hieroglyphic inscriptions in
antic Egyptian, Mayan, and Chinese civilizations since Bronze Age or before.

In fact you could also add all the symbols (not necessarily with religious
meaning) found on graves for expressing that the remaining family of friend
is missing the defunct.
You could also add the similar symbols on jewelry for showing we love
someone, or warrior paintings on faces.

The modern Japanese Emojis were not the first pictograpic signs to express
emotions (even if now they have been extended to many other things and they
are now widespreading the rest of the world with these extensions). Still
their main usage remains for emotions ; starting in the 1970's these were
ASCII art symbols such as the famous :-)