Re: Re: Enclosing BANKNOTE emoji?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 00:39:16 +0100

Both are $ in plain text yes, but they are in textual context. Emojis are
to be used alone and interpreted mostly by themselves. They are also highly
pictographic and represent the actual object in a realistic way.

So a neutral "$" sign in a banknote emoji would not distinguish the (green)
US dollar from the Canadian dollar.

In fact that backnote emoji for the US dollar would typically not use the
"$" currency sign itself (not alone), but would be actual green banknote
(it will probably be encoded by itself, just like the one for the yen), or
as a fallback, a small version of the country flag, or the letters "US"
inside (just like country flag icons).

You can still have a banknote emoji based on the currency sign but it will
only represent that currency sign and not the actual currency unit (except
those currency units whose symbols are strongly tied to the the currency
such the the euro sign, or the symbols for the new shekkel, or the new
ruppiah, not used for other currencies...).

Using variation selectors would not be a solution. In my opinion it would
be best to combine a generic/blank banknote emoji with the other symbol
representing a currency sign or country flag, tied together using the same
technics as those used for emojis representing people or group or people,
i.e. a format control hinting the presence of a ligature.

> It doesn't have to.
>
> How does the system distinguish between US and Canada dollar in plain
> text? Both are <$>.
>
> Leo
>

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Chris Jacobs <chris.jacobs_at_xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> How would the system distinguish between US and Canada dollar?
>>
>> Both would be <$> + U+FE0F VS16
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> Leo Broukhis schreef op 2016-03-01 19:10:
>>
>> I have a less disruptive proposal than to encode an unprecedented
>> combining emoji.
>> How about adding variation sequences <currency sign> + U+FE0F VS16 to
>> signify BANKNOTE with <currency sign> ?
>>
>> Leo
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 1:38 AM, "Jörg Knappen" <jknappen_at_web.de> wrote:
>>
>>> For the pound emoji, throw in ~90M Egyptians.
>>>
>>> --Jörg Knappen
>>>
>>> *Gesendet:* Dienstag, 09. Februar 2016 um 23:46 Uhr
>>> *Von:* "Leo Broukhis" <leob_at_mailcom.com>
>>> *An:* "Mark Davis ☕️" <mark_at_macchiato.com>
>>> *Cc:* "unicode Unicode Discussion" <unicode_at_unicode.org>
>>> *Betreff:* Re: Enclosing BANKNOTE emoji?
>>> The emojiexpress.com site is useful to check which new emoji or
>>> combinations people actually use, but the stats are likely skewed by only
>>> measuring input from one platform.
>>>
>>> Another way to look at the emojitracker.com stats:
>>>
>>> 339M people in the Eurozone : 389K uses of Euro emoji
>>> 126M people in Japan : 354K uses of Yen emoji

blocked.gif