Re: Mammal emoji

From: Asmus Freytag (t) <asmus-inc_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 13:11:31 -0800
On 3/7/2016 12:58 PM, Peter Constable wrote:

I know you’re not proposing anything and just providing info for discussion. I want to make sure it’s clear to others that there is no requirement for encoded emoji in Unicode to provide comprehensive coverage (by any measure) of any semantic or conceptual domain. So, if there isn’t any raccoon emoji in Unicode, that doesn’t imply that there must or ever will be a raccoon emoji.

Sometimes looking at semantic domains points out candidates to consider. The ultimate reason for requesting another mammal emoji would rest on the need to included in communications; that's not based on the fact that it's a mammal, but that it has some other significance (usually symbolic).

"mole" might fit that, if people found that communicating the concept of a mole via picture was compelling. "Nutria" on the other hand seems far-fetched.

So, that the moment, what David sent out, is simply what he presented it as --- data.

A./

Peter