Re: Purpose of and rationale behind Go Markers U+2686 to U+2689

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst_at_it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 16:00:57 +0900

On 2016/03/10 07:52, Ken Whistler wrote:
> I don't know the answer to this. But I suspect that that the source
> was from one of the collection of fonts associated with the STIX
> project research that led to the collection of mathematical symbols
> additions noted in L2/01-067 (superseded by L2/01-142), as well
> as the earlier mathematical symbols proposals with the bulk of
> the symbols that were added to Unicode 3.2.
>
> Given that context, it is, indeed, most likely that the symbols were
> associated with some publication(s) in game theory, rather than
> with professional Go notations per se. See, for example,
> Mathematical Go: Chilling Gets the Last Point:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Go-Chilling-Gets-Point/dp/1568810326

I own and have read the actual book. For examples of the characters
mentioned, please see e.g. pp. 17, 21,.... I think the grey stones in
the earlier proposal were left out because in the book, there are board
diagrams with e.g. 1/4 of a stone gray,...

So yes, these symbols are used for for mathematical research of the game
of Go, and not as far as I know for actual notation. The research is in
combinatorial game theory, where very weird infinitesimal numbers (e.g.
greater than 0 but smaller than any positive number!) are often used.
These numbers are part of the 'Surreal Numbers' introduced in Donald
Knuth's 1974 book of the same name.

And while I have only seen the symbols in mathematical work, that theory
can be highly relevant in actual endgames, and at least professional
players should be aware of it (the theory, not the symbols), because
often games can be decided by the last point won or lost in the endgame.

> I don't see black/white circles with dots in the bit of that publication
> scanned on Amazon, but it does use a black circle with a delta
> symbol as part of the game notation for discussion, as well as
> black and white circles with numbers, denoting sequences of stone
> placements.

As James said, the circles with numbers are extremely widely used; it's
the basic way to show games (because stones are not moved around and
only very rarely removed from the board, the main notation for Go is not
a list of moves with coordinates (as e.g. in Chess), but just a diagram
of the final (or intermediate) board position with every move labeled
with a number. But because these numbers can go up to the 200s, it
doesn't make sense to register them all as characters (one would need
over 500!).

Regards, Martin.