Re: Purpose of and rationale behind Go Markers U+2686 to U+2689

From: Garth Wallace <gwalla_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 21:18:38 -0700

There's another strategy for dealing with enclosed numbers, which is
taken by the font Quivira in its PUA: encoding separate
left-half-circle-enclosed and right-half-circle-enclosed digits. This
would require 20 characters to cover the double digit range 00–99.
Enclosed three digit numbers would require an additional 30 for left,
center, and right thirds, though it may be possible to reuse the left
and right half circle enclosed digits and assume that fonts will
provide left half-center third-right half ligatures (Quivira provides
"middle parts" though the result is a stadium instead of a true
circle). It should be possible to do the same for enclosed ideographic
numbers, I think.

The problems I can see with this are confusability with the already
encoded atomic enclosed numbers, and breaking in vertical text.