Re: non-breaking snakes

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 19:24:12 +0200

My opjion is that the choice of graphics for these fillers is just a matter
of style. A single filler (format control) would be enough to encode
(simplying later the text handling in order to ignore them for plain text
searches or collation). These fillers are only made for specific text
layouts with specific fonts at specific sizes, the number of actual
symbols/graphics you would need is unpredictable in all other cases.

The format control would only be used to mark where these fillers are
safely insertable automatically (just like SHY marks).

The situation however would be different if these marks are also used as
bases for holding diacritics (this is the case of the Arabic Tatweel). But
using CGJ (or some other control with combining class 0) is generally
enough to mark their separation from the base letter to which they would
normally attach. The diacritic will be positioned relative to this
zero-width CGJ, above or below.

But CGJ itself is not freely "extensible" in width for line justification.
So the encoding would be <CGJ, diacritics, FILLER> if you want all
diacritics to remain attached located to the start side of the filler. If
the diacritics should come at the end side of the filler, they would be
encoded as <FILLER, diacritics>. In summary that FILLER would be just
another form for CGJ, except that it is extensible like whitespaces for
line justification purpose. Also the FILLER would not necessarily hold
diacritics and could be used alone, even without letters on either sides of
it.

The Arabic Tatweel is behaving mosly like CGJ (diacritics are normally
rendered on the start side of the filler, but there are some cases where
the Arabic diacritics are centered on the filler: it behaves more like a
normal letter for rendering, even if it's ignorable for plain-text
searches, and may not be rendered at all if there's no need to justify
lines or diacritics may still fit around the base letter before it or even
in its normal position with that base letter).