Re: Math upright Latin and Greek styles

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 18:56:23 +0200

I do not advocate changing that, but these legacy *TeX variants have their
own builtin sets of supported fonts with their implicit style and use them
with the normal letters, just like what is done in HTML when you apply an
italic style. Has these *TeX variants exist this way they don't need these
additions that will be needed only on newer *TeX variants that will not use
explicit font variants in their encoding, but directly new distinguished
code points (without explicit font style tagging).

There are now many *TeX variants each one having its own local assumptions
about the default styles (and layouts) they will apply. If you want to
convert any one of them to HTML (or similar rich-text format), you always
need to know how these *TeX variants have been "profiled": you cannot
simply use the same conversion rules for all *TeX.

Now, if new upright maths characters are added, this will just add new
complications in the rules used by these converters, with little benefit.
The benefit will be visible only when converting to plain-text only (but
such conversion is already defective in many aspects, as the maths layout
is not representable directly without adding additional notations such as
parentheses or some "\"-escaped notations: such conversion to plain-text is
in fact, most often, keeping the original *TeX syntax/notation if they want
to "preserve" the original semantics)