Re: Adopting ZWJ

From: Marcel Schneider <>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 02:25:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 14:52:36 -0600, Karl Williamson wrote:

> On 06/07/2016 02:48 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:
> > I heard that someone was considering adopting ZWJ. They seemed to think
> > that non-printables are not adoptable. But I was unable to find a clear
> > list of criteria. The page that allows one to adopt said that it wasn't
> > available, but that page really doesn't make it clear how one can test
> > for this without actually doing the adoption. (Since it doesn't
> > actually ask for your credit card number on the initial page, one can
> > back out before the final commitment, but that's not a very friendly
> > interface)
> >
> After I wrote that, I found this that I previously overlooked
> "You can’t sponsor candidate characters (those not yet released in a
> version of Unicode, such as the Emoji Candidates), nor certain
> characters such as invisible ones."
> But why this rule. Why should someone be forbidden to adopt ZWJ?

Likewise I seriously considered adopting NNBSP, that is very important
as a layout control, e.g. in the fr-FR locale, and is almost always stable
in the applications, as opposed to NBSP. Indeed neither do I see any
reason not to be able to adopt these characters, the less as there *is*
a visible representation, displaying their abbreviation in a box.

However I was aware from the beginning that my desire was unconventional.
At least it isnʼt the kind of ideal gift for your niece as referred to on