Re: Mende Kikakui Number 10

From: Andrew Cunningham <lang.support_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 19:55:58 +1000

The original proposals inluded a specific numbr 10 codepoint. I assume it
was removed and its representation was to be generated by use of the
combining characters

In the original proposal there was nothing corresponding to ONE+TENS
instead there was a distinct number TEN. The glyph for number 10 was
identical to glyph for syllable PU.

A.

On Friday, 10 June 2016, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> I do not contest that about number 11, and it was not the question !
> The question was about number **10**:
> * ONE+TENS or ONE+TEENS ?
> This is NOT specified clearly in TUS Chapter 19 which speaks about
numbers 1-9 then 11-19 for TEENS, and TENS for numbers 20-99.
> The question is the same about 110,210,...,910:
> * (ONE..NINE)+HUNDREDS+ONE+TENS or (ONE..NINE)+HUNDREDS+ONE+TEENS ?
> For me it seems that both questions will repy with ONE+TENS, not
ONE+TEENS.

>> Hi Phillipe,
>>
>> ONE+TEENS (1E8C7,1E8D0) is definitely the number 11
>>
>> A.
>>
>> On 10 Jun 2016 4:53 pm, "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>>>
>>> Given that there's no digit for zero, you need to append combining
characters to digits 1-9 in order to multiply them by a base
10/100/1,000/10,000/100,000/1,000,000. The system is then additive. I don't
know how zero is represented. Note that for base 10, when the first digit
is 1 (i.e. for numbers 11-19), the combining character is not 1E8D1 (TENS)
but 1E8D0 (TEENS), i.e. the slash-like glyph. But the description says that
TEENS is only for numbers 11-19, not for number 10.
>>> But I agree that there should be a reference in
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1E800.pdf, to the description in
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode8.0.0/ch19.pdf (section 19.8, pages
722-723) that would explain how to render 10 (add some rows in table 19-6
for the numbers 10/100/.../1,000,000).
>>> This leaves a hole in the description. I'm not sure that the glyph for
PU is exactly the glyph for 10. Or what is the appropriate sequence:
ONE+TENS (1E8C7,1E8D1) or ONE+TEENS (1E8C7,1E8D0) ? The description is
ambiguous, and probably both sequences should produce the equivalent glyph.
However the letter PU (when meaning number 10) looks more like the glyph
produced by ONE+TEN (1E8C7,1E8D1).
>>> Then how to represent zero ? Probably by a syllable or word meaning
"none" (don't know which it is), or by using European or Arabic digits (as
indicated in Chapter 19).

discontiguous set of numbers. Represent 10 as U+1E8C7 U+1E8D1 and map it
within the font to the PU glyph.

 U+1E8C7 and U+1E8D1, but PU instead.

was wondering what the best way was to represent the number 10.
codepoint specifically for the number 10. When the model for Mende Kikakui
numbers was changed before the finalising of the code block, the number ten
was removed. But using existing digits and numbers we can produce 1-9 and
11 -> but we can not produce the number 10 from digits and numbers.

--
Andrew Cunningham
lang.support_at_gmail.com