Re: Latin Letters Capital and Small Theta

From: Marcel Schneider <charupdate_at_orange.fr>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 12:42:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 19:52:14 +0200, Philippe Verdy wrote:
> With Rromany (which has multiple orthographies in multiple scripts), the
> problem is that there's no formal standard and the rromany communities
> around countries have adapted their orthography with usages found in other
> ntational languages. There's no real academy and in fact the language is
> very fragmented, and its tradition is fact more oral than written There are
> authors of written texts but each one has adopted a convention more or less
> based on the standard orthography of another language where they live. […]
> There's actually no stable translitterators because there are competing
> orthographies depending on authors, and no formal agreements between
> authors and no academic institution which is widely recognized […]
>
> It's normal for Unicode to accept the existence of Latin orthographies that
> will use the Theta letter as a normal dual cased letter if we can
> demonstrate that authors need it and publications were easily made and
> relatively easy to find. Those publicatiosn are part of our wold cultures
> and needs to be preserved and correctly represented, even if we don't have
> any formal academy. It is even more important than encoding many new emojis
> for fun (that are recent inventions but don't have the same level of
> historic background).
>
> Being able to write all languages even if their historic tradition is oral,
> is an important and respectable goal, notably when these are living
> languages with a large speaking community. It's not something new: various
> native African languages have also adopted IPA symbols in their Latin
> orthography, and wanted to have dual case. So now we also have dual-cased
> Latin letters Alpha, Epsilon, Open O... It does not matter if IPA only
> needs lowercase, but it has become a strong common base used for
> orthographies of languages with oral traditions, and natural for them to
> expand the IPA set with capital letters for the Latin script (and another
> proof that IPA is not a separate script but a subset of the Latin script).

Thanks to all who responded in this thread. The challenge as I see it now
is to spread the word and motivate persons who are in touch with the
Rromani Standard Alphabet user communities, and are thus in a position
to write up the proposal for Latin Letters Capital and Small Theta.

As of the subsequent font issue, I believe that it will be settled quickly
by adding the new code points and duplicating the already existing glyphs of
GREEK CAPITAL THETA SYMBOL and GREEK SMALL LETTER THETA.

Hopefully,

Marcel