[UTR#51-8] 2.4 Emoji Implementation Notes

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper_at_crissov.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 14:09:09 +0200

<http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/tr51-8.html#Emoji_Implementation_Notes>

> … including the user of …

Should be just “use”.

> * emoji zwj sequence
> - may have an emoji variation selector.
> - should be displayed with an emoji presentation by default, even when an emoji zwj element is a singleton with Emoji_Presentation=No.

“zwj” should be “ZWJ” in all instances, also found elsewhere.

If I don’t misread, this seems to be saying nothing about a (hypothetical) emoji ZWJ sequence consisting of 2 or more elements with `Emoji_Presentation=No` without any VS-16. What’s the actual intention?

  1. If there’s any VS-16 or any character with `Emoji_Presentation=Yes` in a ZWJ sequence, the whole sequence SHOULD be treated as emoji(s).

  2. A ZWJ sequence SHOULD be treated as emoji(s) if it contains only characters that either have `Emoji_Presentation=Yes` or whose glyph *can* be affected by VS-16.

Only #2 would cover a ZWJ sequence of `Emoji_Presentation=No` characters without any VS-16 stuck on them.