Re: Comment in a leading German newspaper regarding the way UTC and Apple handle Emoji as an attack on Free Speech

From: Ken Whistler <kenwhistler_at_att.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 10:26:44 -0700

On 8/26/2016 10:01 AM, John O'Conner wrote:
> What I find more interesting is how emoji (a small digital image or
> icon) was ever interpreted as encodable text for the Unicode Standard.
> If our German newspaper friends have made a mistake in interpreting
> emoji as speech, I think the Unicode consortium has made an even
> bigger mistake.

That particular horse left the barn over a decade ago, when Japanese
telcom companies started extending Shift-JIS with emoji on various
phones, and then connected those phones to the internet and started
exchanging email with Unicode-based systems. The emoji were *already*
*encoded* text by that point -- not merely some prospective, uncertain
set of entities which *might* be *encodable*.

You might not like that. It certainly is problematical in many regards
and creates some erroneous expectations. But this is far from the first
time that less-than-ideal characters have been encoded as characters in
the Unicode Standard. Exhibit 1: box drawing characters:

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2500.pdf

I would contend that encoding wildly popular and extensively used little
pictographs as characters makes a whole lot more sense in the abstract
than encoding box-drawing graphic pieces for completely obsolete screen
technology ever did.

And would people discussing this topic please pick *one* list to discuss
it, and stop cross-posting to two lists?

--Ken